Thursday, March 6, 2008

"Winter" in Dixie


Spring came early here in Alabama. I can't tell you when precisely it arrived because I somehow managed to miss winter. The locals complained for three months about the "cold winter weather," but they can't fool me. I'm from Maine. I know Winter. Winter is a friend of mine. And January in Alabama, you, sir, are no Winter.

We got a light dusting of very wet snow in December. It melted before lunch. The next morning in church the pastor referred to it as a "blanket" of snow. I've seen deeper blankets in May.

One day in January the high temperature dipped into the 30's. I received some funny looks through neighbors' windows when I went outside that day. But I always wear shorts whenever I get the opportunity. One never knows how long warm weather like that is going to last.

The warmth has been good for cycling. Usually I'm just getting on the bike this time of year. This year I've logged over 300 miles since January 1st. On the other hand, this weather is not so great for running. We've had high temperatures in the 80's! Uncomfortable business running in heat like that. The locals say it's going to get worse, but I don't see how it can. Maybe they're referring to those poisonous Southern critters of which I've heared tell. I'll add those to the list of things to avoid out on the road.

No comments: