Sunday, March 23, 2008

Holy Week.

I envy AJMAC and CGB who both have recently had warmer climates in which to run and perhaps even frolic in the warm Florida surf as they may sometimes be so inclined. Good for them. I had the rare opportunity to speak with them both in person during the same day today. In fact, all three of us were in the same state at the same time, but alas, unable to run together. Oh well.

Two weeks ago I rolled my ankle playing basketball. Last week I ran again after a week-long, orthopedic-related running hiatus. Hence, today I have some numbers for you. Surprisingly, the ankle felt OK last week, though a bit stiff. Also, despite the fact that I still look like Quasimoto when I run anything longer than four miles, I'm feeling a lot better when I run. I mean, it's not so much 'work' as it is 'not something that I despise' any more. I'm getting there again. But I digress. The numbers... (and these are not nearly as impressive as those of either of my teammates, but it's the best I got right now.)

Monday: ski a tad with kin in Maine and 3 mile easy run
Tuesday: 4.7 mile tempo run (that may seem like an odd distance, but it's a loop by my house. It's also exactly 1.5 5K's.)
Wednesday: absolutely nothing! we'll blame it on the ankle.
Thursday: 6 mile easy run
Friday: 4.7 mile tempo run
Saturday: 3.1 miles race pace (which at this point, on a semi-bum ankle is evidently only around 7:40. Not proud to say it.)

The ladder-type running schedule seems to work pretty well for me and I think I'll stick with it for now. At some point when my ankle is 100% again, I'm going to start some interval training and some hill workouts and work them in twice a week. But not yet.

No comments: