Monday, September 1, 2008

19:59

When I awoke this morning at 5:00 AM to start loosening for the race, the temperature was already 80 degrees. And with the cloud bands from Hurricane Gustav passing overhead, it was wicked humid. It got muggier from there. The course incorporated nearly every hill in downtown Montgomery, just to slow things down a little more. So I am pleased with my 19:59 time and my 4th-place finish.

Given the conditions, I paced myself perfectly. My first mile was 6:25, my second mile was 6:25, and my average overall pace was 6:26.

Now I know what I need to do. I have six weeks before my next race, which I plan to target. By then the air should be cooler, if not drier. It won't be my last chance in 2008 to break nineteen minutes, but why wait until the last minute?

No comments: