Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Crucial Week and I faltered...

Two weeks ago, after my half-marathon, I ran a light, easy week to rest my body. I had been running well, and a lot, and wanted to make sure I was fresh and healthy going into the final months. So, this past week was crucial to make sure I did not go stale.

I started out well:
Monday - 5 miles - fartleks
Tuesday - 8 miles - fartleks
Wednesday - 3 miles easy
Thursday - 4 miles - 800, 3 x 400, 4 x 200 at 87 sec pace
Friday - rest

Then, Saturday was going to be a long run and Sunday a medium paced stretch run. Instead, I woke-up late, had to take the kids to swim, then immediately to a birthday party; then off to homecoming; then babysitting while Cherish worked until almost 2200 (new job at J. Jill - no you may not use the employee discount). On Sunday, we woke up and started prepping for a day of hiking in Freeport, Maine.

As a result, I was not able to close out the week well. I went for a 10 mile run with fartleks tonight and my legs were heavy, tight and stale. This week will need to be very effective. I want to run a 5k next Wednesday to tune up for an upcoming race at the beginning of November.

As for Mac, he is in great shape and in a great position. He toasts my PR and I am not so confident that I would break the 19 minute barrier before him. If I do, it would be only because he waited too long. My advice to him is to find a race next week and try again. Perhaps Mac did not have 19 minute legs on October 11, but, without minimizing what this means, he only needs to drop a few seconds on each mile. A good weather day can make all the difference in the world. As much as I would love to be first, Mac, remember, I want you to get there. Go out and seize the moment! Realize your goal! You can do it. I know you can. So, go do it and run for your life!

No comments: