Sunday, April 13, 2008

Done the du

Back from the Whistlestop Duathlon. Missed my target time by one minute, six seconds. I finished in 1:31:06, which was fast enough to win my age group. Though a fussy Baby AJMac prevented me from sticking around to claim my prize, I left with one of the coolest-looking t-shirts I've ever received at a race.

The runs were slow. My 4k splits were 18:24 and 18:50. Obviously, I should have done more speed work. However, I almost made up for it on the bike, cruising along on a very hilly and slightly windy course.

Some amazing athletes there, including several pros. That storm you hear behind you on the bike course? That's a guy on a ten-pound bike with an aero helmet going 26 mph uphill using the big chain ring. He's creating his own weather systems and generating enough energy to light Memphis.

I might have come in a few seconds faster were it not for the pickup driver who ran me off the road less than a mile before the last transition. I guess he got tired of passing cyclists and I was the closest one, so he took out his frustration on me. After pushing me out of the travel lane and to a complete stop, he blocked me out, driving slowly until I rode around behind him and attempted to pass on his left, then speeding up to prevent me from doing so. Fortunately, three very helpful police officers happened to be standing nearby and put an end to madness, forcing him to stop and letting me go on my way.

Last week's stats and today's race pictures (thanks to Mrs. AJMac) forthcoming. Now it's time to turn my attention back to the 5k. Judging from my running splits today, I have a lot of speed work in my future.

Notsoflash and CGB haven't posted in a while. What's up guys?

No comments: