Saturday, April 26, 2008

19:13

I raced in the Vaughn Forest Fitness Challenge 5k this morning. I had intended to use it as a tune-up for my target race on May 10, but when the gun went off the competitive juices flowed. I ran the first two miles in 6:05 each, slightly too fast. I paid for it in the last mile, but still managed to finish second in my age group.

More significantly, my time was 19:13. If my math is correct, that means I've taken 34 seconds off my 5k time this year and am now a mere 14 seconds from that elusive nineteen-minute race. Perhaps with some intensive speed work in the next couple of weeks, I can pull this off before the month of May has ended.

My next assault on the summit is May 10 in a race that will take place in my own neighborhood. It's a point of pride to defend one's own turf. Plus, Mrs. AJMac will be racing, and I can't let her beat me.

No comments: