Friday, February 29, 2008

The Strategy of the Marathoner...

Often, in the car, in the shower, on the toilet and during my runs, I talk to myself. I think this is a normal activity for the populus, mostly because thoughts and sentences sound differently when spoken as opposed to when held in the confines of the brain. People like to check what they are thinking, so that if they ever need to voice these thoughts, they are refined; so logically they do this when they are alone. What sets me apart from everyone else is that in addition to indulging in this activity, I extend it to the times when people are standing right next to me. Praise the Lord, I caught Cherish early.

At any rate, more often than not, I talk to myself about four things: 1) my religious exercises, 2) political desires (which are not limited to Ted Kennedy losing all functional speech), 3) how I would have jumped higher than anyone to make the catch across the field in Super Bowl XXXVII to keep the Eagles drive alive, and 4) my training plans (incidently, how those plans translate to winning the New York City Marathon). Since, per my preamble to this posting, my thoughts should be refined and ready for me to discuss number 4. At least they better be or I will be proven to be what everyone suspects and I (not to mention Cherish) already know - that I am a freak.

AJMac wrote about some of his obstacles. I have some, too. First, I am a big guy for a competitive runner. I also have a small gait. Probably the most daunting of my obstacles is that I have no burst of speed - it usually takes me at least two to four miles to get into my stride and desired speed (consequences of training to endure marathons). So, I need to train to overcome these things.

First, being larger, I need to pack on miles, but not too many, in order to lose weight.

Second, in the midst of packing on miles, I need to work on my speed. I can do this in two ways: mixing in speed workouts - probably two a week for six to eight weeks (and then restructure depending on my progress) - and also using fartlek runs as I am out running miles. Packing on miles and mixing in speed will translate to approximately 45 miles a week, definitely no more than 50.

This will also help me to work on my strength as well as speed. How? By running hills. Contrary to popular feeling, I love running hills. They are easy on the body. They give a great workout. They help with results and I feel a great satisfaction after I have conquered one. Most important, however, is what Alan Culpepper, the 2004 Olympic marathoner, was quoted as saying, "Hills are speed workouts in disguise."

Finally, I will need to strengthen my body, not just my legs. This is to support my lungs and heart while running hard and to help me keep form. So, I will do "floor workouts" three days a week. I call these "floor workouts" because I do them on the floor (genius, huh?). These will include push-ups and core exercises (some on the stability ball).

So, now you know what I need to do and what my plan is. My speed workouts will start in Florida next week. My floor workouts started at the beginning of the month. The cold air is making it hard to put on miles, but hopefully I will get in much needed long runs this and next weekend.

Okay, boys, keep me accountable and look for my posted progress.

No comments: