Monday, June 29, 2009

A Month Later...

Well, it has now been over a month since my last post. Last year, I was very good at this whole blog thing. This year... not so much. Well, let's get caught up:

1) Congratulations to the 2009 Aggie Man Champions, The Brothers Mac! Great effort, great showing, great victory! And it looks like Chewbacca has manners. Perhaps the Sasquatch can live amongst the peoples.

Being first and foremost a runner, I am very impressed by the 5:59 pace that Alotmoreflash(than me) held running up hill. To be honest, I am not certain if he has actually run an 18:59 5K, yet, but I think that the Aggie man performance was good enough to say he accomplished the goal. Can I get a positive vote from the readers, please?

2) Last Thursday, I ran in the JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge in Boston. It is a 3.5 mile race from Charles St. to Kenmore Square and back. I have run in it each of the past several years and always seem to be on the high side of 24 minutes. With 14,000 runners on one side of Commonwealth Avenue (which bottle-necks under the narrow Mass Ave overpass), I believe I usually end up running closer to 18 miles. So, this year, I made it a point to get as close to the front as possible. After weaving my way up prior to the race start, I was able to start only 5 seconds back from the lead runners and therefore, was able to quickly get into a rhythm and nestled into a similarly paced pack. By the way, the battery on my watch died two nights prior and was unable to get it changed. With out my trusty guide, I may have gone out to fast, because I felt myself die off on the return trip. I gained a little momentum coming into the final 0.75 miles and was able to finish strong. One guy came up next to me in the final stretch and said, "Come on", in a challenging and encouraging way. It picked my feet up, helped me dig deep and energized me to victory in this mini-foot race at the end of the larger race. I finished in 21:15 (a 6:04 pace).

3) This past week, including the Corporate Challenge, I put together my strongest week in a long time. I ran 37 miles with a 10 miler and a 12-13 miler mixed in. I took it easy on the longer run and just enjoyed it. It felt good and when I had finished, I felt relatively fresh. Now, if you asked my wife and kids, they would counter by saying that I did not smell relatively fresh. Nothing a shower and a full stick of deodorant can't take care of.

Well, I need to start posting more often. Thank you for staying put.

No comments: