Friday, August 15, 2008

From Colorado to Sea Level to the Olympics...

Not that I am in or even at the Olympics, but they are on and they are taking up all of my time. Even the kids are into the Olympics. They were in the pool at grandmom and grandpa's house and they were "playing Olympics". Thankfully, Mrs. CGB was there to referee the events.

It has been a while since I posted. Since then, I have returned from my excursion to Colorado and Summit County. It was so beautiful. Some time in Rocky Mountain National Park opened my eyes to God's great glory, when my head was shutting down - not quite acclimated on day one. On my second day, we hiked up to 14,265 ft. on Mt. Quandary and I have never seen anything so surreal in my whole life. Here take a look:













AJMac really enjoyed the views and even got to stand out "over the world".













And just so you believe that I was there:














Now, I have been hard at work back at sea level. Sea level is fine, but after spending days at two or more miles above sea level, such low altitude seems pointless. The only advantage seems to be swimming in the ocean and that is too cold to do. No wonder there was a lady in Boulder, CO with a T-shirt that read, "Sea level is for sissies".

Well, this sissy, has been biking to work most days (it helps that my car was in the shop for a full week). I have been placing runs in strategically and feeling pretty good. I have to get back to doing speed work (my last session was early June), but I was encouraged by a 5K on Tuesday night. I ran it in 19:42. Also, I should state that Mrs. CGB and I are doing the South Beach diet in order to get a little healthier. I actually feel a little more in shape. Dieting, biking and running ought to do that, you know. Now, I need to translate the lost weight into a faster 5K time.

No comments: