Thursday, November 27, 2008

Running with a pro

Happy Thanksgiving, all. I had intended to run a trail 5k this week while visiting friends in northern Indiana, but for reasons that would interest no one, it didn't work out. However, I have been running every day with my friend Michael, a former professional triathlete.

I feel pretty good about my training, but I have also been reminded why I am not a professional athlete. It's been a bit discouraging, actually. I am now the fastest I have been since high school, having run a 19:12 and a 19:16 this year. Michael hasn't trained in three years. Yet each day we have gone out for a 5 to 8 mile run, each day I have churned away as he lopes along easily beside me, and each day I have finished the run gasping and sore, a stitch in my side and my tongue covered in dry cotton, as he, without discernable effort or discomfort, has gone looking for food and drink. Fortunately, I earn a living doing something other than running.

I will race again on December 6 in the Montgomery Jingle Bell run. I am hopeful that the cool weather will keep my engine cool enough for 6:06's.

No comments: