Friday, December 18, 2009

Boston Bound

Before all else, mega, mega, huge mega kudos, many congratulations, and an enormous bowl of baked beans to CGB, who qualified for the Boston Marathon by running a blistering race at the Philadelphia Marathon. He finished under 3:10:00. I hope he will soon share the entire story with us here on this page. CGB, we bow to your superior pain management and mental toughness. An extra-strength Advil and a glass of bourbon to you, sir.

Life has been, to say the least, frenetic here in the Heart of Dixie. Academic conferences, committee work, moot court competitions, and attending to my first child and my wife as the latter delivered our second child (born on Tuesday), have all piled on top of the usual class prep, exam grading, and meetings with students to leave me little time for training, and no time for blogging in the last 6 weeks or so. Not much to report, as a result. I have essentially been logging base miles whenever I can find the time. I ran a local 5k. Slowly. 19:56. Yeah, it's been that bad.

I'll do an end-of-the-year recap in a couple of weeks, but I will for now simply report that I have logged 2536 miles on the bikes this year (600 on the TT bike, the balance on the road bike). That's the most I've ever ridden, and I have my weekday and weekend morning riding groups to thank. It's a lot easier to motivate to get up at 5 AM and slide on the lycra when you know you other guys are waiting for you. I didn't keep track of my running miles this year, but I estimate that they are somewhere between 750 and 800.

No comments: