Saturday, March 14, 2009

A win is a win

This morning I did something I have not done since junior high school: I won a race. Actually, I won two races. I ran one of those 5k/10k races where the 10k runners do two laps of the same course. I finished my first lap over a minute before the first 5k finisher, then ran another.

I had no one with whom to pace from mile 2 on, and by the second time around the course the next closest runner was 1/4 mile behind, so my pace was all over the map and not nearly fast enough. I ran my first two miles in 13:30, then passed the same spot three miles later in 34:37. Finished in 41:52. Not great, but also not terrible for racing by myself.

A reporter from the local paper interviewed and photographed me. Not many newsworthy events in this little city, as you can tell. I'll have a fun clipping to hang on the refridgerator for motivation.

No comments: